Friday, August 31, 2012

National Elephant

I haven't completed a pen and ink drawing for a long time. I finally had enough staff meetings that I could get some drawing done. This style of drawing, stippling, is labor intensive, but also quite relaxing. As I explore other art mediums, I hope to always squeeze in a drawing or two.

This elephant was photographed at the National Zoo in Washington, so I presume that it is the National Elephant. (Republicans may be pleased by the thought of a national elephant until they realize that it has lived entirely on the government dole.)

Honestly, I was not impressed with the elephant enclosure, it was large but barren. But while I was there, the zoo was constructing an elephant walk way that went throughout the zoo, so that the elephants could go wandering. I'd love to see the elephant enclosure once its completed.

I've included the final sketch and two earlier sketches, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment